North America PTFE Market Overview

North America PTFE Market Overview

Fluoropolymers are used in the chemical processing, automotive& transportation industry, Electrical & electronics, Industrial and mechanical applications, building, construction, & wire & cable industries, consumer appliances. Other additional industries include Medical, Aerospace & defence and Sports & Recreational. The fluoropolymer market can divided into two types, PTFE and other Melt-processible Fluoropolymers(PVDF, FEP, E-CTFE, ETFE, *PFA, CTFE-VDF, PCTFE, THV and amorphous types).

Global demand of PTFE was estimated to be around 265 kilo tons in 2017 accounting for almost 57% of the global fluoropolymer demand. PTFE is likely to continue to be the dominant fluoropolymers in the long-term forecast on account of demand from Chemical processing/ Industrial and home appliances where it used as a coating to provide non-stick surfaces for cookware and also on steam irons and other tools. The PTFE market is expected to grow at anannual average of 4.5% per annum from 2018. Polyvinylidene Fluoride (PVDF) is the second largest fluoropolymer with 16% market share; while third comes the Fluorinated Ethylene Propylene (FEP) accounting for approx. 9% of the total demand.

With roughly around 55% share, China is the world’s largest producer of PTFE; it also accounts for largest consumption of around 48% in 2017. The consumption of PTFE fluoropolymers in USA, Japan, China and Western Europe account for almost 85% while the rest of the world account for about 15%of world PTFE  consumption.

North America PTFE Demand by Application (2005-2025)

North America PTFE Demand by Application (2005-2025)

North American consumption of PTFE is forecast to grow at 2.4% per year from 2018 to 2025 to reach 36.7 kilo tons by 2025. The financial crisis that started in late 2007 had a severe impact on many of the industries that PTFE sells into, especially the automotive, chemical processing, industrial and aerospace. The demand for PTFE was affected in 2009, with the market contracting by over more than 12% owing to the economic downturn; however, it increased again in 2010.

The USA accounts for almost 90% of the North American PTFE demand.PTFE demand in USA was around 27.4 kilo tons in 2017 and the demand in 2025 is expected to reach 32.9 kilo tons. The market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 2.34% in the long-term forecast to 2025.  Mexico accounts for a share of around 8.3% of the North American demand while Canada accounts for the remaining 1.5% of the demand. Mexico will be the fastest growing country in the region and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 3.07% in the forecast period till 2025.

The automotive manufacturing is expected to be strong in the region with new investments and as more OEM and car manufactures are considering moving their auto-parts manufacturing base to North America on the back of the recent trade agreements of US with Canada and Mexico replacing the NAFTA agreement.

The North American market in terms of value was estimated to be around USD 379.5 million of which USA was the biggest accounting for almost USD 323.8 million. The regional market is expected to reach USD 478.9 million by 2025, growing at CAGR of 3.0% in terms of value during the forecast period.Mexico is expected to witness highest CAGR both in term of volume and value during the forecast period.

In terms of demand break-up by form, granular PTFE account for almost 42.5% followed by fine powder at 29.3% and aqueous dispersion at 25.3%.Micronized PTFE was estimated to account for less than 3% of the total demand in 2017. Granular PTFE is project to grow at an annual average of 2.2% till 2025. The regional demand for fine powder PTFE was estimated to be around 8.9 kilo tons and is estimated to witness an annual growth of 2.3% during the forecast period.

Prismane Consulting’s LinkedIn Posts click here

Prismane Consulting’s Open PR Posts click here

For more details on PTFE, please contact us at

For More Reports click here


(0) Comments

Leave A Comment

All fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required